NCME proposes national madarsa board in India

Madarsa

NEW DELHI, SEPTEMBER 13: To capture details of unregistered madarsas, the National Monitoring Committee for Minorities’ Education (NCME) has proposed a national-level madarsa board. The NCME, part of the HRD ministry, has further advised that the madarsas be accredited.

“There is a need to capture the details of the unregistered madarsas and bring them within the ambit of registration so that a clear picture is available,” NCME panel member Afzar Shamsi was quoted as saying to a news agency.

Currently, the government has data pertaining to only those which are registered. Only 20 per cent madarsas are registered, so the government has no way to ensure academic standards in the remaining 80 per cent.

How would registering madarsas work?

According to reports, the plan is to first bring all the madarsas within the ambit of the MHRD. Thereafter, they would be linked to a skill development council. There would also be awareness campaigns in the areas surrounding the madarsas. Information about the madarsas would be made available on websites. Essentially an Islamic studies institution, the education system in India’s madarsas also include modern curriculum. Most of the madarsas are affiliated to a madarsa board in their respective states.

The National Monitoring Committee for Minorities’ Education or NCME was set to monitor minority education. It includes state government, Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha nominees apart from academics, activists and administrators involved in minority institutions. HRD minister, Prakash Javadekar is the chairman of the body. NCME also advices on issues like recognition and affiliation of minority institutions in India.

The government of India had earlier also asked Madarsas to for board affiliation. The MHRD ministry sought the physical verification of madarsas to continue with the payments of teachers. Towards modernizing the madarsas, a few state governments has also been introducing Science subjects along with NCERT books in the curriculum followed by the madarsas.